American Welding Society offers Welder to be professionals without having an academic base.
The Certified Welder ( CW ) program offered by AWS is completely a performance-based course which doesn’t require to have any previous certificate or any base qualification. You only have to is proven Welding skills.
American Welding Society will provide you professional training and the Certified Welder certificate which you can bring anywhere. If you are a beginner you can start with the guide here and get started with basic welding gears such as welding helmet.
Benefits of Being The Certified Welder –
- The certificate is transferable. You can use it in any part of the world
- It will give you the chance to be a part of professinals and can explore your welding talent to get a higher position in the field.
- AWS offers nine different certification tests for different designations like Inspector, supervisor, and welding engineer.
- Connecting with AWS you can have many chances to learn by attending seminars and workshops.
How does It work?
The AWS Certified Welder program tests skills of welders for different core industries like – Structural Steel, Petroleum Pipelines, Sheet Metal, Chemical Refinery Welding Industries, etc.
AWS through its Accredited Testing Facilities ( ATF ) provides the testing facilities for the above-mentioned industries. Welders can test themselves and get the CW certificate.
AWS ATF testing labs are available in a different part of the world.
Qualification for applying for the AWS The Certified Welder Program –
No academic required! This is an open platform for talented welders to be recognized in the market. This is a completely performance-based certification program.
No prerequisite courses, no minimum academic required, if you can weld as the industry wants and have enough talent to pass the AWS Accredited test then you would have the Certificate for a professional Welder.
How To apply for AWS Certified Welder Program –
If you want to join the AWS Welder Certification Program then you should make an appointment with any of AWS – Accredited Testing Facilities.
You as a welder will have to face different testings standard – AWS – Standard Welding Procedures ( SWPSs ), Industry Standard Specifications, and non-code Specifications.
Steps To appear for AWS – Accredited Test Facilities –
- Read the QC7 Standard and supplements very carefully. Can get the QC7 instructions from the official website of AWS.
- Now, search for a nearby Accredited Test Facility Representative and contact for the registration process for the test.
- You can apply online for the test. The AWS has a certification Application Portal on its official website you can visit and submit the application form vertically.
- Submit the application. Mention you, QC7 Standard, in the application
- Appear for the test. Take your QC7 standard technic documents with you during the test
- After successfully passing the test the ATF will forward your application along with your qualifications test record and certification fees to AWS.
- After fully satisfied with your performance, AWS will mail you the AWS certified Welder wallet card.
- Now you have the Certified Welder card. You have to maintain it and appear for the renewal process accordingly.
QC7 Standard –
QC7 Standard is the technical documents you have to present during the test. Before appearing for the test you have to choose a standard to get ita technical documents.
Below are the Standard from QC7 Standard –
- QC7 Standard for AWS Certified Welders
- Welder performance qualifications sheet metal test requirements
- Chemical Plant and Petroleum Refinery Piping
- AWS performance Qualification test.
American Welding Society offered the following welding certification Programs –
- CWI – Certified Welding Inspector
- SCWI – Senior Welding Inspector
- CRWT – Certified Resistance Welding Technician
- CRI – Certified Radiographics Interpreter
- CWS – Certified Welding Supervisor
- CWSR – Certified Welding Sales Representative
- CWI by Reciprocity.